Soon the sound of rolling waves from summer vacations will turn into the ring of a school bell. As much as we want summer to stick around, it’s time for the kids to get back to school. Whether they are just starting kindergarten or entering their senior year of high school, there is a lot that has to be done to help them perform at their best.
It has often been said that a clean environment helps students perform their best academically. While this applies to the school setting, it also applies to the student’s home. Chem-Dry of Northern Nevada is here to help with your home’s cleaning to ensure your children have an exceptional school year. Our professional cleaning gives you a home with cleaner carpets and upholstery that looks and feels like new.
While we can’t do everything for you, we’ve come up with back to school home organization tips to help you achieve a clean and organized home just in time for the new school year.
Create a big family calendar on a whiteboard
- Basketball, football, soccer, dance, band practice, etc… It won’t just be getting to school that your kids will have to worry about these coming months. Track all extracurricular activities to make sure your kids arrive on time and get to the right place.
- Make sure entries are color-coded so your kids can easily discern which activities are theirs.
- Post the calendar somewhere everyone can see and access it. Don’t leave adding and tracking activities all to yourself.
- Have some room to the side for a grocery list section where your family can say what they need more of or make a sleep schedule for your little ones.
Germs are spreading, prepare with a clean home
- Deep clean the house. Employ the professional cleaning services from Chem-Dry of Northern Nevada to refresh and restore your home’s carpet, upholstery, tile, area rugs, and granite countertops.
- Wash newly purchased school clothes.
- Purchase small hand sanitizers for each of your kid’s backpacks, encourage good handwashing habits.
- Always wash worn clothes to school.
- Wipe and sanitize frequently touched surfaces like doorknobs, tables, and handles.
- Invest in rugs or doormats to be placed inside and outside of entryways to minimize the spreading of dirt and allergens.
Declutter the Closet
- Look for clothes kids don’t really wear anymore, consider donating them if they’re still in good condition or getting rid of them if not.
- Buy bins and other storing containers to hold clothes in the closet. Label them for easy outside identification.
- Organize clothes by sections. Examples would be to organize clothes according to hot and cold weather, sports, work, school, etc… This will help kids get ready much quicker in the mornings.
Keep the main entrance of your home as organized as possible to make it easier to find things in the mornings.
- Create two separate storage areas for kids and adults. Kids usually grab and store what they can reach first, so try and put the adult’s storage higher up.
- Install a hook or two that can hold keys.
- Use cubbies to store backpacks.
- Build or buy a shoe organizer where people can put their shoes and easily find them again. This will save you the mess of shoe piles and potentially losing your shoes.
Organize the most used areas by kids
In their study and play areas:
- Develop a study area where kids can have room to write and spread out school work.
- Make folders to organize homework for each day of the week.
- Set up storage with extra school supplies.
- Create school homework calendars and checklists on your child’s desk. Consider supplying stickers that can be used to track progress.
In their bathroom:
- Organize toiletries for kids with different baskets or containers. This is especially important if your kids share a bathroom.
- Ensure adequate supplies of toilet paper, toothpaste, hand soap, and other necessary items are in good stock.
- Make sure older children’s makeup and other styling products are high up and out of reach from little ones.
- Use an organizer on the door, like a shoe pocket holder, to further organize personal belongings.
At Chem-Dry of Northen Nevada, we hope this school year is the best one yet! These tips will help your family be prepared for the school year with a clean and organized home. For other tips and tricks on how to more effectively clean your home, please explore the rest of our blog. Our cleaning proudly services Reno, Sparks, Carson City, Winnemucca, Battle Mountain, and Lovelock.